SESL Australia (Sydney Environmental and Soil Laboratory Pty Ltd) was founded on the basic tenet of environmental sustainability and improvement. Wherever possible and in any way, we are committed to reducing the effect of the anthropological impact on the environment. Whether it is by promoting and advising on best management practices for recycling waste, reducing landfill or more efficient use of fertiliser in agriculture and horticulture. SESL recognizes the limited resources provided by the environment and promotes, through education and advice. a more practical and pragmatic approach to encourage sustainable use of all natural resources.
It is our policy to devise company practices and procedures that minimise waste, reduce consumption, recycle and protect the environment in every facet of our operation and actively seek continual improvement in environmental performance and participate in appropriate initiatives as and when we are able. We will ensure that all members of staff are aware of their responsibility towards the environment and encouraged them to participate in the improvement our environmental practices. At a minimum, it is expected that the operations of the company will not harm the environment, but we are committed to finding new ways of improving it.
As part of our commitment to protect the environment, the management and staff of SESL will continue to take our stewardship of the environment seriously by maintaining and improving our current practices and procedures including but not limited to:
- Restoring sampling sites to original condition;
- Having a site management plan that will ensure that appropriate procedures are in place to safeguard the health and safety of both people and the environment;
- Maintaining all equipment and plant in good order to optimise the appropriate use of power resources especially those that have a direct effect on the health of the planet;
- Maintaining in good order the sump pit used to trap and contain soil particles that may otherwise escape into the sewerage system including regular clean outs;
- Autoclaving quarantine samples to eliminate the possibility of foreign diseases, viruses and pathogens escaping into the environment and disposing of them in an environmentally responsible manner;
- Regularly maintaining the back flow value that stops our laboratory water from seeping back into the mains water system;
- Handling and disposing of all waste chemicals and solutions in an appropriate manner to eliminate polluting the environment;
- Handling and disposing of all samples including those with potential to harm both humans and the environment in a manner that does no harm;
- Choosing methods and procedures that have the least possible potential of harming the environment;
- Separating unrecyclable wastes from paper and cardboard and recycling old computers under the local Council’s waste reduction initiative; and
- Using the Australia Post initiative to recycle used toner cartridges from printers and the photocopier;
The management and staff of SESL is committed to the improvement of all environmental practices and with that aim shall establish the SESL Environmental Management System, which meets the requirements of ISO 14001.
Signed by: Simon Leake, General Manager
Dated: 24th February, 2014